When I first heard about avocado toast, to be completely honest, I wasn’t intrigue. I’m not sure why, I guess just the thought of putting avocado on toast didn’t appeal to me. But that all change one day when my husband offered to bring home breakfast from the cafe at his work and he said they had avocado toast. Sure, I’ll give it a try. I might have been pregnant at the time (I don’t exactly remember why I was so laze faire about what to eat) but anyways, he brought home the toast, I ate it and I so pleasantly surprised at how delicious and flavorful the avocado toast tasted!
Ever since then whenever I have avocados at home I enjoy making some avocado toast for breakfast. It so easy and customizable. You can just have it with some salt and pepper or dress it up with more toppings if you fancy. Sometimes I’ll even put an egg on top. My first avocado toast was more like guacamole with onions and garlic. But the simplest method for me is to just add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and some tomatoes. Spread it on top a nice toasty bread and viola! Breakfast!
1 slice of bread, toasted
1 large avocado
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 tsp salt and pepper (can add more to taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1. In a medium size bowl combine avocado, garlic, onion, salt and pepper
2. With a fork, gently mash together to desire consistency
3. Gently fold in tomatoes
4. Add more salt or pepper to taste
5. Spread on top of toast and enjoy!
If you’ve had your reservations about avocado toast (like me), I strongly encourage you to put your reservations aside and try it just once…who knows, you just might find your new go-to breakfast dish!
Friday! Friday! Friiidayyy!!! I don’t usually cook for breakfast, just some fruit and oatmeal or yogurt is my usual go-to breakfast. But on weekends … Oh wonderful weekends, I like to make something more special to pay proper tribute to the greatness that is the weekend.
2 ingredients pancakes are actually so simple and quick you could probably do it on a regular weekday also. I don’t remember where I found this recipe, it was a while back when I was on a health kick but I’ve kept it because it was so simple and tasty. There’s lots of versions of this recipe all over the internet including one on Blogilates, a popular fitness Youtube channel that may have been where I first saw it. To be honest I don’t really consider these pancakes because they don’t have flour or milk and aren’t really the consistency of fluffy pancakes. But when I have bananas that are ripening too fast and I want something quick and easy, these 2 ingredient banana pancakes work for me. Most recipes call for two eggs but I only add one and they’ve always worked for me. I think if you’re making these for the first time you might want to add two eggs so the pancakes are more substantial and easier to flip over. Anyhow, here is my version for 2 Ingredient Banana Pancake.
2 Ingredient Banana Pancake (5 small pancakes)
1 ripe banana
1 large egg
¼ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
pinch of salt (optional)
1 tbs butter for cooking (or coconut oil)
- In a small bowl mash the banana with a fork.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add vanilla and salt, mix well.
- In a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, melt butter making sure skillet is nicely buttered.
- Using a soup spoon (not sure if soup spoon is the right name, you know how dinner sets have two spoon sizes, I mean the larger spoon.) Add about 2 spoonfuls to make a small pancake. Do this for each pancake leaving space in between for spreading and flipping. Let cook for 3 minutes.
- With a large flat spatula, flip pancakes over and cook for another 3 minutes. You might have to hold the handle of skillet to help shimmy the pancake on to the spatula so it doesn’t tear.
- Remove onto plate and serve with fresh fruit, or maybe a side of bacon.
There you have it, 2 Ingredient Banana Pancake.
Have a great weekend!