Pan Fried Tilapia with Mushrooms
As I write this post, little guy is sleeping and hubby is in the kitchen with our daughter getting dinner ready. Life is pretty nice right now and I’m trying to enjoy it as much as possible before hubs has to go back to work. Readjusting to having a newborn at home again has its rough moments such as night time feedings and diaper changes, but this time around it has been a lot smoother overall than the first time.
So back to why we’re here, food. Food for adults haha. I made this dish a couple of weeks back before the arrival of baby #2 and we enjoyed it so much I had to share it. This is a great recipe to make when you want a mix up in your weekday meals or even if you want to make something “fancy” for a small dinner party. Basic ingredients, basic steps, put it together and you have yourself a not-so-basic entree. Served along side some vegetables or a nice green salad with your choice of carbs!
Pan Fried Tilapia and Mushrooms
- 2 Tilapia filets
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs of olive oil
- 16 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 Tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper or more to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Lemon wedges
- On a shallow bowl or plate large enough to fit tilapia filets, add flour, lemon pepper, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix all together.
- Save about 2 Tbs of flour mixture and set aside.
- Coat tilapia filets on each side with flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbs of olive oil, cook tilapia about 3-4 minutes per side and remove to clean plate.
- In the same skillet, add butter and minced garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved 2 Tbs of flour over the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring to evenly mix the flour.
- Add white wine and cook another 5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add 1/4 tsp of salt or more if necessary and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mushrooms over the tilapia and top with the parsley and wedge of lemon.