It’s Cinco De Mayo and I was going to make shrimp tacos today but I wanted to do something lower carb (only 3 more weeks!) and so shrimp lettuce wraps it was. My husband and daughter still ate their shrimp with tortillas, which I allowed myself a bite of and it was delicious. Either way you decide to eat this shrimp recipe, with tortillas or lettuce, you’ll be a happy camper!
I broiled my shrimp in the oven, but grilling it would be highly recommended. Don’t forget the sour cream or even better, avocado crema. My husband took it upon himself to make the crema and I happily obliged. It was delicious. I asked him what he put in it and it was a combination of sour cream, avocado, cilantro, some hot sauce, onions (and some other ingredients I can’t remember), all blended together. But really, as long as you have sour cream, avocado, and some lime you’re pretty good to go with the crema. He really wanted to make sure I put his crema in my photos, so for his contentment I made sure it was present in a few pictures 😆. I must admit, as flavorful and fresh as all the ingredients were, you really do need some type of cream or sauce to bring the dish all together.
Easy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 36 shrimps, clean and pat dry with paper towel
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 TBS garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup mangoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red onions diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the wraps
- Lettuce Leaves (bibb, boston, romaine)
- Sour cream or avocado crema
- Lime wedges
- In a large bowl add shrimp, olive oil, olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix to evenly distribute and coat all the shrimp with oil and spices.
- Lay on baking sheet in even layer.
- Broil 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven, roughly chop the shrimp and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine tomatoes, corn, mangos, red onions, diced avocado, lime, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and gently toss.
- Add chopped shrimp, olive oil, cilantro and gently mix.
- Serve with lettuce or tortillas and a large side of avocado crema or sour cream.