Turkey Meatloaf (I can not take a good photo of meatloaf…but it’s still yummy!)
I never had meatloaf as a kid. It wasn’t something my parents’ made. My first vague memory of meatloaf was from the TV sitcom, Full House, and Stephanie Tanner has a pretend wedding to her friend, but he goes home shortly afterwards because his mom was making meatloaf, and Stephanie says something along the lines of, “I want to marry a guy who won’t leave me for his mom’s meatloaf.” So with that, I felt meatloaf must not be very appetizing. I mean…it IS called meatloaf and it is literally a loaf of meat.
I don’t even know or remember what made me want to try to make meatloaf, but one day I did, and after I took my first bite, I had a moment of introspection. Why did it have such a bad rap? It is pretty darn tasty and with a side of veggies and potatoes it was down right comforting! Over the years I’ve gone from ground beef to ground turkey meatloaf and I haven’t gone back to using beef since (at least for meatloaf). I’m actually not sure how mine would compare to others since I don’t order it out and never had it from anywhere, but I know I really like the one I make and my husband likes it also. So I will share my recipe with you and if you ever want to give turkey meatloaf a try…why don’t you give this recipe a chance? =)
1.5 Lbs. ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbs garlic
1 cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped mushrooms
1 celery chopped
1 carrot chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs ketchup
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp paprika
Fresh chopped parsley
8 ounce tomato sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 Tbs Siracha sauce (or to taste)
Combine all ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a skillet over medium heat sauté onion, garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms until soft.
- Add salt, pepper, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and about 1 Tbs of ketchup.
- In large bowl bowl combine turkey 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, spices, vegetables.
- Add to loaf pan and spread top with some of the tomato sauce (save some for extra sauce on the side).
- Bake at 350 F for 1 hour 15 min
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.