Vietnamese Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce (Nuoc Mam Gung)
This is my favorite sauce to go with Hainanese Chicken and Rice. I love making this in a mortar and pestle because it gives the sauce a nice thick consistency and really brings out the ginger and garlic. But if you don’t want to use a mortar and pestle, you can always finely mince the ingredients and mix everything together. It will still taste great! This sauce is a pretty sweet sauce compared to Nuoc Mam Cham or everyday fish sauce for dipping. If you’re just making this for the first time, start with 3 Tbs of sugar and increase to 4 if you like. For me, 3.5 Tbs was perfect sweetness for me.
Vietname Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce (Nuoc Mam Gung)
2 inch ginger, cut into slices (3 Tbs ginger)
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped (1 Tbs garlic)
1 Thai chili, roughly chopped*
3-4 Tbs sugar (start with 3 and can add more as desired) *
3 Tbs fish sauce
4 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs water
Makes about 1 cup of sauce
1. In a mortar and pestle*, smash ginger and garlic into a paste
2. Add pepper and mashed into ginger garlic paste
3. Transfer to a small bowl
4. Add sugar (start with 3 and add more to desired taste)
5. Add fish sauce, lime juice, and water
6. Stir to combine all ingredients
7. Transfer to serving bowl
* If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you could also just mince the ginger, garlic, and pepper up very finely.
* Start with 3 Tbs of sugar and you can always add more according to your preference.
* Same with the Thai Chili pepper, start with 1 and you can aways add more later!