Japchae is a Korean stir-fry noodle dish. It has a lot of prep work and ingredients, but don’t let its lengthy prep time scare you. It is fairly simple to make. Once you’ve finish making Japchae, you’ll be rewarded with a tasty meal for lunch or dinner for a few days (depending on how many people are eating this). For 2 people, we have this for lunch for at least 2-3 days.
½ lb. beef cut into small strips
1 medium size carrot cut into match sticks
1/2 red bell pepper cut into small strips
1 small onion sliced into small strips
8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of spinach (about 5 cups of uncooked spinach)
2 scallions (1 for cooking, 1 for garnish)
5 cloves garlic (3 for meat, 2 for spinach)
1 + 2 Tbs Sesame oil (1 for the meat, 2 for the sauce)
1/3 cup + 2 Tbs soy sauce (1/3 cup for sauce, 2 Tbs for meat)
1/4 cup +1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs mirin
1 Tbs sesame seeds
Chili paste (optional)
salt and pepper
- Marinate the beef- Combine 2 Tbs soy sauce, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 Tbs sesame oil, 1 Tbs mirin, 3 cloves of minced garlic to meat and mix.
- Set aside and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the sauce- Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, ¼ cup + 1 Tbs honey, 2 Tbs sesame oil, and 1 Tbs sesame seeds.
- Stir until honey dissolves.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt.
- In skillet on medium heat, add eggs and let it cook on one side.
- Once edges have set, turn the other side over to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove egg and cut into strips and set aside.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil.
- Add the 2 cloves crushed garlic.
- Add spinach to boiling water for 40 seconds.
- Drain and rinse in cold water and squeeze access water.Set aside in large bowl.
- Boil sweet potato noodles in spinach water and cook for 5 minutes or according to packaged instructions and set aside in bowl.
- Add 2-3 Tbs of sauce to noodles and mix.
- Add a 1 Tbs of vegetable oil to pan and stir fry veggies- starting with carrots stir fry for 1-2 minutes, add bell pepper stir fry for another 1-2 minutes, add mushrooms and onions and cook until all vegetables have just soften.
- Season with 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes and add to large bowl.
- Add 2-3 Tbs of the sauce to the vegetables and mix.
- On same pan that vegetables were cooked in, add 1 Tbs of oil on high heat.
- Stir fry beef with scallions until liquid has reduced and meat is cooked through.
- Add to large bowl.Mix all ingredients.
- Add the rest of sauce and mix again.
- Add egg and fold to incorporate.
- Add green onions to garnish.