Japanese American Potato Salad (Hybrid Recipe)
I love potatoes. I love salad. I love potato salad. And I really like Japanese potato salad. It’s simple and I love that it uses cucumbers. I also like American potato salad. It’s flavorful and I love pickles (which are also cucumbers!). So after making different potato salads for a while, I decided to combine my favorite of each into one recipe and this is now my go to potato salad recipe.
Japanese American Potato Salad
4 cups cooked potatoes, cubed (about 6 small gold potatoes)
1 carrot, quartered and cut into small pieces
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
½ white onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cooked corn
3 tbs chopped pickle (about 1 spear)
2 eggs, hardboiled and chopped
1/2-1 cup mayo
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp pickle juice
1 tsp rice vinegar
¼ tsp salt, another 1/2 tsp divided into half for cucumber and onion
- In pot bring water add about 1 tbs of salt and cubed potatoes
- Bring to boil (uncovered)
- Lower heat to medium and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until knife pokes through w/o resistance.
- Reserves about 1/3 of cubed potatoes and mash up the rest. Set aside.
- In another small pot, bring water to boil and add cut carrots, cook for about 2-3 minutes depending on thickness of pieces.
- Remove carrots and set aside.
- Add eggs bring to boil, uncovered, once roiling boil, cover turn off heat and let sit for 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt over cucumbers.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt over onions.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, rinse and gently squeeze out excess liquid.
- Add potatoes and sprinkle about 1/4 tsp salt over potatoes,
- Add mayo to the potatoes. Start with half a cup and add more as necessary to get your desired consistency. Limit at 1 cup.
- Add sugar, vinegar, pickle juice and mix.
- Then add carrots, cucumber, onion, pickles, corn, salt and mix.
- Add eggs and gently stir to combine.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary.