I’m very excited. This has been a short work week for me with Monday being Memorial day and now today is my Friday. That made it a 3 day work week…sweeet! Next week my husband and I are going on a little anniversary trip and I can not wait to spend a few days just relaxing and experiencing a new place, seeing new sights, and trying new foods together. Albeit, we’re not traveling far, it’s still nice to just get away and see a new place we haven’t been to.
With that said, I might not be cooking much next week but I do have a really good recipe to share today, Pecan Crumb Cake. Crunchy, buttery, sweet topping, with a light soft yellowy cake. This recipe makes for a pretty big cake…but one of my favorite things about baking is being able to share it. So make this, enjoy this, and share it (only if you want to of course)! It’s perfect with a cup of hot coffee or tea. I adapted the recipe I found called Grandma’s Crumb Cake, and I hope I done grandma proud.
Pecan Crumb Cake
1/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 ¼ flour
½ cup melted butter
2 cups roughly chopped pecans
2 ¼ cup flour
3 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
powder sugar for topping
Lightly spray a 9X13 cake pan
- In a medium size bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon, butter until combines
- Add in flour and pecans and stir until stiff dough forms
- Set aside
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt
- Cream butter, sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla and blend
- Add flour and milk, alternating between the two. I did three additions of each. So about 1/3 of milk and flour each time.
- Mix just until smooth and do not over beat.
- Pour into baking pan
- Crumble the crumb topping on top. I like a mixture of big crumbs and small crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes. Insert toothpick in center and if it comes out clean it’s done.
Adding pecans was a good addition…I think I’ll always use pecans for this cake now.
Crumb topping before adding the flour.
The crumb topping. Utterly delicious.
Cream sugar and butter
Add egg and vanilla
Adding in the flour and milk, alternating each. I did three addition of each.
No crumb topping…naked cake!
Going in the oven!
About now your house should smell a little bit like heaven. Enjoy!